Skip to main content

3 days of target birding, 26-28th July

I was approached for 3 days of target birding. A list of 12 birds were given me. As you can understand it is not easy to space out these things logistically but always worth a try.

1. Eared Pitta
2. Spot-bellied Eagle Owll
3. Streak-breasted Woodpecker
4. Freckle-breasted Woodpecker
5. Mangrove Whistler
6. Asian Dowitcher
7. Slaty-breasted Rail
8. Black-headed Woodpecker
9. Tickell's Brown Hornbill
10. Red-legged Crake
11. Asian Golden Weaver
12. Indian Nightjar

Why such a narrow target list? Well the person had seen most birds realistically possible in surrounding countries and decided to spend 3 days looking for lifers after a job assignment in Thailand.

Day 1. Drove to Petchaburi and quickly got on to Asian Golden Weavers....many of them.
Asian Dowitcher a remote chance but no waders present at the mudflats.
Mangrove Whistle we tried for an hour but no response.
Indian Nightjar didnt take to long as I knew their daytime roost.

Afternoon off to a friend's hide near Kaengkrachan. He has set up a hide for a nesting Eared Pitta. We got to see the female in the nest at close range.
Then we visited a waterhole where we waited till almost dusk as a Red-legged Crake came to bathe with 2 chicks. Quite a haul for one day I must say.

Day 2. Went inside the park with only 3 birds in mind. It took a lot of patience but we eventually were rewarded with cracking views of an immature Spot-bellied Eagle Owl.
We heard but didnt see Tickell's Hornbills. We got to see the hard to find Bamboo Woodpecker but it wasnt until the very last minute that Streak-breasted Woodpecker showed up. So amazing to see. Like scoring a goal in overtime!

Day 3. Saw us work very hard at 4 different sites for 2 different woodpeckers and the Dowitcher but nothing to show for.

I personally thought the great haul of rare birds and other wildlife we saw in such a short time was a real success. Of course we missed a couple of touch targets, but that is to be expected on a short tour with many rare species being sought.

Quality sightings is worth more then birds for bucks, no?......8 out of 12 isn't bad, is it?

Anyhow, I enjoyed it as we saw some good birds, got out of the heat in Bangkok, shared common experiences and dined well.
Green Magpie

Spot-bellied Eagle Owl

Streak-breasted Woodpecker

Crested Serpend Eagle

Red-legged Crake

Eared Pitta

Bamboo Woodpecker

Asian Golden Weaver

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birding trips out of Bangkok!

Daytrips out of Bangkok The following are a few sites that I regularly take visiting birders to. I often do one site in the morning and another in the afternoon and sometimes even fit in one midday.  Depending on the time of year number of birds seen will vary. Most migrants are here from September – April yet there are others that only visit in May-August.  I find it very fulfilling for people on business or others with limited time circumstances to invest in a guided trip with someone that not only knows the birds but also how to get around and has years of experience living in Thailand. Fields of Latkrabang, Bangkok: My local patch and a gem in the city concrete with still rice fields and scrub present. The roar of the traffic in the background and airplanes lifting to the sky is subdued a bit and the birds present are clearly heard. Many a good wetland birds as well as warblers and other birds have been recorded. On a normal morning I average 70-80 species. Pe

Blue-naped Pitta, 1st March 2022

 I am not quite sure how or when to begin this story. Back in the day when all I had was the birds in my garden and the fantastic illustrations of magical birds found in the field guide I could only dream of one day seeing them in real life. My life was restricted and very little opportunity to set out in pursuit of ‘imaginary birds’! Ha! Well, a long story cut short. Things changed and slowly I started to lay my eyes on the real things I had only seen drawn in literature. I remember my first Pitta, the Blue-winged, on an excursion to a waterfall with some rumbunctious kids but it didn’t stop me from seeing one crossing the pathway. (as a note, the late Jon Hornbuckle, who eventually saw all recognized Pittas of his day, told me his last one was the Blue-winged. Just goes to show how this rather ‘easy’ to see bird is not very easy unless you are in the right area at the right time.) So, here in Thailand we have a lot of Pittas. Some are regular, none are easy, and som

Alone with Spoonie!

  I have been fortunate enough to spend time on my own with Spoon-billed Sandpiper this season. I have seen this bird over 100 times but feel like I never have enough.  These pictures are from Khok Kham, Samut Sakorn about 1 hour from Bangkok.