Skip to main content

Reasons for butterflies!

 

Butterflies!
 
I think we all know that no matter how difficult the circumstances are there is always a silver lining somewhere.
With the world gone mad I started to focus my attention to birding sites near home. I got to be more thorough in my immediate surroundings. My lists for Bangkok and Chonburi i.e. grew substantially. I did manage a couple of longer trips when restrictions were let up a little.
That made me grateful for the things that sometimes have grown too familiar.
 
Then something inside of me told me to turn my focus towards butterflies. I have seen almost 900 species of the birds in Thailand, photographed almost 800 and recorded the sounds of many hundreds. Meaning that newness is harder to come about. But butterflies I know next to nothing about except that they are very attractive in an artistic way. I have from time to time taken the odd image but was intimidated by the lack of knowledge on my own part and simply brushed it aside as too much of a mountain to climb also having felt that the birds were challenging enough.
 
Then I got my hands on a monumental Butterfly Guide of Thailand of about 1000 pages. I looked at it but again was massively intimidated. Ha! So, it set for the shelf for a year collecting dust.
Well, the pure beauty and variety of the butterflies started to grow on me and I started to set aside time for the butterflies after a couple of hours birding in the early morning. Butts like to be active a little later when the sun is out and it is warmer.
 
Along with that I discovered www.norththailandbirding.com to be a wealth of information and with the generous help of Dave Sergeant I started to grow a collection of images. Mind you, identifying these things is almost a nightmare at times. I would say at my stage considerably more difficult than birds.
So, at this point, I am very happy that I have been able to focus more on the butterflies, to expand my repertoire and versatility.
 
I like keeping lists but I also enjoy the sheer beauty and intricacy of the patterns on the butterflies. Also reading up on the biology and life stages of butterflies is simply fascinating. A great site is found here  
 
 
So, all this to say, I am still very much interested in birds and always will be but for the time being the butterflies offer a lot more in terms of newness. Once the borders are opening up and it is possible to travel again things will need to be readjusted but I know the butterflies will have much more of an interest for me no matter where I go from now on. 
 
Learning about something new and complex like butterflies is a bit like learning a new language. You simple can only learn one word at a time! 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birding trips out of Bangkok!

Daytrips out of Bangkok The following are a few sites that I regularly take visiting birders to. I often do one site in the morning and another in the afternoon and sometimes even fit in one midday.  Depending on the time of year number of birds seen will vary. Most migrants are here from September – April yet there are others that only visit in May-August.  I find it very fulfilling for people on business or others with limited time circumstances to invest in a guided trip with someone that not only knows the birds but also how to get around and has years of experience living in Thailand. Fields of Latkrabang, Bangkok: My local patch and a gem in the city concrete with still rice fields and scrub present. The roar of the traffic in the background and airplanes lifting to the sky is subdued a bit and the birds present are clearly heard. Many a good wetland birds as well as warblers and other birds have been recorded. On a normal morning I average 70-80 species. Pe

Blue-naped Pitta, 1st March 2022

 I am not quite sure how or when to begin this story. Back in the day when all I had was the birds in my garden and the fantastic illustrations of magical birds found in the field guide I could only dream of one day seeing them in real life. My life was restricted and very little opportunity to set out in pursuit of ‘imaginary birds’! Ha! Well, a long story cut short. Things changed and slowly I started to lay my eyes on the real things I had only seen drawn in literature. I remember my first Pitta, the Blue-winged, on an excursion to a waterfall with some rumbunctious kids but it didn’t stop me from seeing one crossing the pathway. (as a note, the late Jon Hornbuckle, who eventually saw all recognized Pittas of his day, told me his last one was the Blue-winged. Just goes to show how this rather ‘easy’ to see bird is not very easy unless you are in the right area at the right time.) So, here in Thailand we have a lot of Pittas. Some are regular, none are easy, and som

Alone with Spoonie!

  I have been fortunate enough to spend time on my own with Spoon-billed Sandpiper this season. I have seen this bird over 100 times but feel like I never have enough.  These pictures are from Khok Kham, Samut Sakorn about 1 hour from Bangkok.