Skip to main content

Blue-naped Pitta, 1st March 2022

 I am not quite sure how or when to begin this story. Back in the day when all I had was the birds in my garden and the fantastic illustrations of magical birds found in the field guide I could only dream of one day seeing them in real life.

My life was restricted and very little opportunity to set out in pursuit of ‘imaginary birds’! Ha!
Well, a long story cut short. Things changed and slowly I started to lay my eyes on the real things I had only seen drawn in literature.

I remember my first Pitta, the Blue-winged, on an excursion to a waterfall with some rumbunctious kids but it didn’t stop me from seeing one crossing the pathway.

(as a note, the late Jon Hornbuckle, who eventually saw all recognized Pittas of his day, told me his last one was the Blue-winged. Just goes to show how this rather ‘easy’ to see bird is not very easy unless you are in the right area at the right time.)

So, here in Thailand we have a lot of Pittas. Some are regular, none are easy, and some are only found in books. Till today I had seen, Giant, Banded, Mangrove, Gurney’s, Blue-winged, Hooded, Fairy, Blue, Eared, Rusty-naped, a brief encounter with Bar-bellied and now Blue-naped!

The Blue-naped is an extremely unknown bird in Thailand and was only first seen and heard at a park in NorthEastern Thailand a few years ago. But the Eastern part of the Northern region is quite hilly and very under birded and with more people being aware it has now been seen in a couple of more locations.
Of course I wanted to see it but the que has been amazingly long. It has been fully booked out for 7 months now. Who ever knew there were so many keen birders in the Kingdom?
Well, a rubber plantation worker learned the call of the bird and one day he heard it. He started to stake the bird out and eventually set up a hide in a small ravine. The birds started coming.
I couldn’t get a proper booking so let it rest. Ha! I heard stories of how hard it was to communicate, you needed 4WD, long time waiting etc.

Then one day I was on a boat watching seabirds and a got to chat with a nice lady (Noi Guinnett) who told me she had a booking for the Pitta but was happy to give it to me. Wow! What a gift!
So, on my last day in the top North after having savored the mandatory locally grown strawberries and had a meal at the Irish Pub in Chiang Mai town I was ready for the drive to Sukhotai.
I enjoyed the ride, 3.5 hours from CM on good roads. This part of the country is sparsely populated and rather hilly. Thailand is amazingly large one must say.

Once in the small town of Srinatchanalai I settled in a modern resort with my own bungalow called Smile soft resort. Great AC, Wifi, hot water and clean rooms.

Across the road from the resort there was a what looked like a grotty restaurant called Kulap (Rose), but this well established restaurant had some incredibly good food on the menu and at half the price of what is on the menu in Bangkok.
They also had a well stocked fridge with cold beers so I felt right at home.

I was in close contact with the owner of the hide, Mr Mahasak, I was not sure how to meet up but it turned out to be very easy as the GPS kept the signal all the way to the meeting spot where at 5:30 I met Jin, the caretaker of the hide. The drive from town took a little less then an hour.
Jin took me to his home where I parked my car and then proceeded at the back of his motorbike.
Jin, a very humble sweet man, told me how the Pitta had afforded him to built a room for himself and his wife and daughter as they were living with his parents in a simple abode.
He had also bought a small car on payment as he now needs to pick up clients from near and far.
We got to the hide at 6:10…It was dark….Jin told me of how the birds had shown well the day before but 2 days back none of them showed. Ha! Well, I was not about to have any of that so I put all my thoughts towards seeing a manifestation of birds in front of me.

At 6:25 the female showed up. It was dark but she showed well in the light from the torch.
It didn’t take long for the male to follow. Both birds kept feeding on the meal worms put out. The worms serves as the magnet. But this was in no way an artificial setting. You could tell these birds were wild and only coming in on their own accord.

I experimented with my camera settings. It wasn’t easy. But in the end got some decent shots.
At 8:30 I decided to leave as the birds did not show since about an hour and there were a lot of bees about.
Jin came to pick me up and I got to meet his parents.
Overall a very nice experience, not only seeing the birds but also how it has integrated some locals and inspired so many Thai people to come to visit!

PS. This was my Pitta number 26 and my Thai bird #899! Ha!

I do not chase all things, especially if I have seen them elsewhere or they are common elsewhere but something like this is deemed more then worthy!

Thank you Noi Guinnett and Mahasak Sukmee for making this possible! 

                                                              
                                                                 
                                                                 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birding trips out of Bangkok!

Daytrips out of Bangkok The following are a few sites that I regularly take visiting birders to. I often do one site in the morning and another in the afternoon and sometimes even fit in one midday.  Depending on the time of year number of birds seen will vary. Most migrants are here from September – April yet there are others that only visit in May-August.  I find it very fulfilling for people on business or others with limited time circumstances to invest in a guided trip with someone that not only knows the birds but also how to get around and has years of experience living in Thailand. Fields of Latkrabang, Bangkok: My local patch and a gem in the city concrete with still rice fields and scrub present. The roar of the traffic in the background and airplanes lifting to the sky is subdued a bit and the birds present are clearly heard. Many a good wetland birds as well as warblers and other birds have been recorded. On a normal morning I average 70-80 species. Pe

Alone with Spoonie!

  I have been fortunate enough to spend time on my own with Spoon-billed Sandpiper this season. I have seen this bird over 100 times but feel like I never have enough.  These pictures are from Khok Kham, Samut Sakorn about 1 hour from Bangkok.