Skip to main content

Lat Krabang, Bangkok

Since the city parks closed today and mandatory mask wearing started I decided to go somewhere away from humans. Ha! I particularly enjoyed the Whiskered and White-winged Terns feeding in a frenzy at some of the fish ponds. The birds are stocking up on fuel for their flight to breeding grounds and will leave shortly. Especially White-winged goes through an amazing transformation (moulting into breeding plumage) and is rather elegant this time of year. 

Asian Golden Weavers are nesting all over. Almost at arms length in places. They seem oblivious to man's efforts of restricting their preferred habitat, reed beds, and make use of just about any patch of reeds they can find. The male is the weaver but the female does supply materials and inspects the nest. 

Two Slaty-breasted Rails dared to show themselves in the open. But they are oh so shy. Will need to try a different approach for better pix another time. 

Several Jacanas were seen but a bit far off. These birds flourish during the wet season when they also breed. 

 I did add 2 new birds for my year list: Cinnamon Bittern and Indian Pond Heron. The Heron is impossible to ID in winter but now all 3 of the Pond Herons are assuming breeding plumage. The Indian is by far the hardest to come by. 

There are still a few warblers around and now they are singing full songs as they are about to leave. 

The morning ended with a sumptous plate of papaya salad, cabbage and sticky rice. A real favorite of mine!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wut Tum Prathoon, Chonburi

 About an hour and 20 minutes drive from my home in Bangkok there is a temple on a little hill. The hill is surrounded by a forest that hold both resident and migratory birds.  At the temple there is a permanent hide with seating for about 8 people. The hide is for free.  A hose with dripping water and a bath is set up for the birds. This hide has some regular species that make use of the water as continuously. I have visited the hide a few times, mainly mid day when birds are hot and come to bath.  Here is a sample of birds I have seen of late.  Siberian Blue Robin, female  Emerald Dove Amur Paradise Flycatcher Streak-eared Bulbul Black-headed Bulbul Racket-tailed Treepie Sooty-headed Bulbul Eye-browed Thrush Chestnut-flanked White-eye Orange-headed Thrush Black-crested Bulbul Verditer Flycatcher Oriental Magpie Robin

Emerald Cuckoo

This shiny little bird always causes excitement. Quite easy to observe at Pah Gloaymai campsite at Khao Yai during the right time of year. It is simply very busy gleaning grubs from the fairly low trees found at the campsite.

Spoon-billed Sandpiper!

The season is drawing closer towards its end. Soon this enigmatic and unique creature will head towards Eastern Siberia and its breeding grounds. How long can it hold on to the pressures of loss of suitable 'refueling' habitat during its long flight? Can it find suitable breeding habitat? Will it find a mate? Can it survive another season of villagers in Bangladesh harvesting shorebirds for staple? Don't we all wish him sucess? This season I have had a high count of 8 individuals at Bak Taley, Petburi. The birds have proven quite easy to spot. Or perhaps I am getting sharper in my 'spotting skills'? Either way, when one is found and I see the joy in the face of the visiting birder, I can sense the awe and almost europhic relationship that exist between birders and this very special bird. The birds are never easy to approach very close on foot and seldom do one have a chance to use the car as a cover. This bird was pretty accommodating though and I managed a few shot...