Skip to main content

King's Park, Suan Luang

Emerald Cuckoo

Today turned out to be a bit of an extraordinary day. It started out with me not feeling very motivated in any particular direction so I decided to leave a little later and mainly get my steps for the day in at a nearby park. 
 
I went to King Rama 9 Park. A leisurely walk and birds started building. 
 
I caught eyes on a Thai girl with binoculars but not dressed as a typical birder
(you know the one in birding uniform)….
 
I thought it would be nice to say hello but then I got distracted by a flock of Small Minivets.
Then the girl and her friend came running towards me saying ‘on the wire, Emerald Cuckoo’!
Sure enough, a splendid male on the wire. 
 
Both the girls were enthusiastic with a hunger to learn. 
 
We looked at the Cuckoo for a bit and then turned towards a Yellow Wagtail and Paddyfield Pipit on the lawn. They hadn’t realized it was 2 different birds so a nice opportunity to point out a few things.
Rama 9 is rather landscaped but there is an area where migratory birds hang out and in that darker part I got on to Blyth’s Paradise Flycatcher, 2 Barred Warbler and Sakhalin Leaf Warbler.
 
As I decided to walk on, a sound not familiar was heard. A pair of Rose-ringed Parakeets were chasing each other for a couple of minutes and gave great views. My first pix of this invader/introduced bird in Thailand. 
 
Once home I noticed that a friend had gone to twitch Indochinese Blue Flycatcher at Queen Sirikit Park. I thought that a bit weird as my friend has a very high list for Bangkok and I was wondering why he bothered to. So, I checked eBird and my own target birds for Bangkok. The bird was not on the missing species list. Hmm…but when checking my seen birds it wasn’t there either. Then I realized it simply wasn’t on the Bangkok birdlist at all and thus didn’t show up on eBird. I have in times past seen many blue flycatchers at my old house but didn’t correctly remember having seen this one or not. 
 
So, another non brainer. I got to Queen Sirikit Park by noon and at the spot got the bird immediately! Yeah! 
 
Then another friend wanted to show me some of the local owls and though not new for my lists it is always a thrill to see owls on day roosts. Got my 10.000 steps and more!


Small Minivet, male

Paddyfield Pipit

Blyth's Paradise Flycatcher

Asian Brown Flycatcher

Rose-ringed Parakeet

Indochinese Blue Flycatcher

Collared Scops Owl

Spotted Owlets

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birding trips out of Bangkok!

Daytrips out of Bangkok The following are a few sites that I regularly take visiting birders to. I often do one site in the morning and another in the afternoon and sometimes even fit in one midday.  Depending on the time of year number of birds seen will vary. Most migrants are here from September – April yet there are others that only visit in May-August.  I find it very fulfilling for people on business or others with limited time circumstances to invest in a guided trip with someone that not only knows the birds but also how to get around and has years of experience living in Thailand. Fields of Latkrabang, Bangkok: My local patch and a gem in the city concrete with still rice fields and scrub present. The roar of the traffic in the background and airplanes lifting to the sky is subdued a bit and the birds present are clearly heard. Many a good wetland birds as well as warblers and other birds have been recorded. On a normal morning I average 70-80 species. Pe

Blue-naped Pitta, 1st March 2022

 I am not quite sure how or when to begin this story. Back in the day when all I had was the birds in my garden and the fantastic illustrations of magical birds found in the field guide I could only dream of one day seeing them in real life. My life was restricted and very little opportunity to set out in pursuit of ‘imaginary birds’! Ha! Well, a long story cut short. Things changed and slowly I started to lay my eyes on the real things I had only seen drawn in literature. I remember my first Pitta, the Blue-winged, on an excursion to a waterfall with some rumbunctious kids but it didn’t stop me from seeing one crossing the pathway. (as a note, the late Jon Hornbuckle, who eventually saw all recognized Pittas of his day, told me his last one was the Blue-winged. Just goes to show how this rather ‘easy’ to see bird is not very easy unless you are in the right area at the right time.) So, here in Thailand we have a lot of Pittas. Some are regular, none are easy, and som

Alone with Spoonie!

  I have been fortunate enough to spend time on my own with Spoon-billed Sandpiper this season. I have seen this bird over 100 times but feel like I never have enough.  These pictures are from Khok Kham, Samut Sakorn about 1 hour from Bangkok.