Skip to main content

Falcons

 During October there is a massive migration of Amur Falcons from parts of China/Russia all the way to Africa. Some of these birds we in recent years have learned to pass over Northern Thailand.

As I started to scale the steep road up to Doi Angkhang from Fang my eyes fell on this beauty. There were 2 birds around and though not perched on a tree they still gave clear shots. What an attractive Falcon this is!



This bird I spotted while driving along the ridge
on Doi Lang. It took the help of some friends to verify that it actually was a Eurasian Hobby, a bird I had not seen in Thailand before! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wut Tum Prathoon, Chonburi

 About an hour and 20 minutes drive from my home in Bangkok there is a temple on a little hill. The hill is surrounded by a forest that hold both resident and migratory birds.  At the temple there is a permanent hide with seating for about 8 people. The hide is for free.  A hose with dripping water and a bath is set up for the birds. This hide has some regular species that make use of the water as continuously. I have visited the hide a few times, mainly mid day when birds are hot and come to bath.  Here is a sample of birds I have seen of late.  Siberian Blue Robin, female  Emerald Dove Amur Paradise Flycatcher Streak-eared Bulbul Black-headed Bulbul Racket-tailed Treepie Sooty-headed Bulbul Eye-browed Thrush Chestnut-flanked White-eye Orange-headed Thrush Black-crested Bulbul Verditer Flycatcher Oriental Magpie Robin

Emerald Cuckoo

This shiny little bird always causes excitement. Quite easy to observe at Pah Gloaymai campsite at Khao Yai during the right time of year. It is simply very busy gleaning grubs from the fairly low trees found at the campsite.

Spoon-billed Sandpiper!

The season is drawing closer towards its end. Soon this enigmatic and unique creature will head towards Eastern Siberia and its breeding grounds. How long can it hold on to the pressures of loss of suitable 'refueling' habitat during its long flight? Can it find suitable breeding habitat? Will it find a mate? Can it survive another season of villagers in Bangladesh harvesting shorebirds for staple? Don't we all wish him sucess? This season I have had a high count of 8 individuals at Bak Taley, Petburi. The birds have proven quite easy to spot. Or perhaps I am getting sharper in my 'spotting skills'? Either way, when one is found and I see the joy in the face of the visiting birder, I can sense the awe and almost europhic relationship that exist between birders and this very special bird. The birds are never easy to approach very close on foot and seldom do one have a chance to use the car as a cover. This bird was pretty accommodating though and I managed a few shot...