Skip to main content

White-browed Fantail

 Just a couple of days ago I received my new yearly visa. It is always so much paper work and one just never know what will be required. I was very relieved when it all came through, meaning, Thailand has to put up with me for another year!

So, to celebrate I decided to do a 2nd try for the White-browed Fantail at Sapsadao. This is a very difficult bird in Thailand and though present in fragmented areas of dry dipterocarp forest, apparently best seen at Sapsadao.

I had dipped on my 1st attempt. Got to the site in the late afternoon after an almost 5 hour drive (traffic runs slow over the forested mountains that leads into the NorthEast). Lots of birds were showing but not the Fantail.

Spent the night in a small hotel by the main road warding off the charming little ladies frequenting the neighbourhood.

All morning in potential habitat but NO bird! Well, I decided to go for lunch and on the way out simply sat in the car while recording some bird songs and hoping for a picture or two.

I normally don't rely too much on playback though I use it. I seldom play it for long. Anyhow, this time I thought I'd leave it on play and put it on the roof of the car while I remained inside. After less then 2 minutes it had called the attention of 2 White-browed Fantails that were incredibly inquisitive! This was at 11:55 and not what I had expected.
Big smiles, camera out , sound to be recorded!

As they say: God's delays are not denials!

Recording: http://www.xeno-canto.org/214234






Comments

John Holmes said…
It's always great to get the paperwork sorted out !

Nice photos.
Liz Frances said…
Your blog is lovely! Perhaps you are the one to answer my questions. I have searched all over the internet and cannot find the answer. Recently moved to Pattaya and would like to identify a beautiful bird - medium-size, black with an almost-neon blue breast and brilliant blue bands that appear in flight. Any idea?
Thaibirder said…
Most definitely Indian Roller!

Popular posts from this blog

Wut Tum Prathoon, Chonburi

 About an hour and 20 minutes drive from my home in Bangkok there is a temple on a little hill. The hill is surrounded by a forest that hold both resident and migratory birds.  At the temple there is a permanent hide with seating for about 8 people. The hide is for free.  A hose with dripping water and a bath is set up for the birds. This hide has some regular species that make use of the water as continuously. I have visited the hide a few times, mainly mid day when birds are hot and come to bath.  Here is a sample of birds I have seen of late.  Siberian Blue Robin, female  Emerald Dove Amur Paradise Flycatcher Streak-eared Bulbul Black-headed Bulbul Racket-tailed Treepie Sooty-headed Bulbul Eye-browed Thrush Chestnut-flanked White-eye Orange-headed Thrush Black-crested Bulbul Verditer Flycatcher Oriental Magpie Robin

Emerald Cuckoo

This shiny little bird always causes excitement. Quite easy to observe at Pah Gloaymai campsite at Khao Yai during the right time of year. It is simply very busy gleaning grubs from the fairly low trees found at the campsite.

Spoon-billed Sandpiper!

The season is drawing closer towards its end. Soon this enigmatic and unique creature will head towards Eastern Siberia and its breeding grounds. How long can it hold on to the pressures of loss of suitable 'refueling' habitat during its long flight? Can it find suitable breeding habitat? Will it find a mate? Can it survive another season of villagers in Bangladesh harvesting shorebirds for staple? Don't we all wish him sucess? This season I have had a high count of 8 individuals at Bak Taley, Petburi. The birds have proven quite easy to spot. Or perhaps I am getting sharper in my 'spotting skills'? Either way, when one is found and I see the joy in the face of the visiting birder, I can sense the awe and almost europhic relationship that exist between birders and this very special bird. The birds are never easy to approach very close on foot and seldom do one have a chance to use the car as a cover. This bird was pretty accommodating though and I managed a few shot...