Skip to main content

Wet season

For some reason I tend to neglect my blog. I think it is because I  find the software not user friendly enough. 
The text is hard to place and so are the pictures. 

Since I last posted I have been to both Sweden for a month and parts of Indonesia. 

Now is the rainy season and a good time to take care of other matters before the dry season begin and birding starts up again. 

Anyway, I was out yesterday visiting some wet lands.

Joe Gilmour from Australia was on a business trip to Europe. He took his son with him as it was school break. On the way back they passed through Bangkok. He asked his son what he wanted to do. 'Birding' was the reply.

We spent half a day in wetlands and saw 68 species of birds. Not bad for wet season. Best of all, we beat the rains! 

Good to be out again!

                             Male Common Kingfisher always is a treat.

                 Blue-tailed Bee-eater, always on a man made structure.

                          Plain Prinia unusually high in a tree.

               White-browed Crake love walking on floating vegetation.

                         Common Redshank in non breeding plumage.

                              Golden-bellied Gerygone singing away.
     
                                       Marsh Sandpiper

                                     Black-winged Stilt

                                          Joseph and Oliver

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wut Tum Prathoon, Chonburi

 About an hour and 20 minutes drive from my home in Bangkok there is a temple on a little hill. The hill is surrounded by a forest that hold both resident and migratory birds.  At the temple there is a permanent hide with seating for about 8 people. The hide is for free.  A hose with dripping water and a bath is set up for the birds. This hide has some regular species that make use of the water as continuously. I have visited the hide a few times, mainly mid day when birds are hot and come to bath.  Here is a sample of birds I have seen of late.  Siberian Blue Robin, female  Emerald Dove Amur Paradise Flycatcher Streak-eared Bulbul Black-headed Bulbul Racket-tailed Treepie Sooty-headed Bulbul Eye-browed Thrush Chestnut-flanked White-eye Orange-headed Thrush Black-crested Bulbul Verditer Flycatcher Oriental Magpie Robin

Emerald Cuckoo

This shiny little bird always causes excitement. Quite easy to observe at Pah Gloaymai campsite at Khao Yai during the right time of year. It is simply very busy gleaning grubs from the fairly low trees found at the campsite.

Spoon-billed Sandpiper!

The season is drawing closer towards its end. Soon this enigmatic and unique creature will head towards Eastern Siberia and its breeding grounds. How long can it hold on to the pressures of loss of suitable 'refueling' habitat during its long flight? Can it find suitable breeding habitat? Will it find a mate? Can it survive another season of villagers in Bangladesh harvesting shorebirds for staple? Don't we all wish him sucess? This season I have had a high count of 8 individuals at Bak Taley, Petburi. The birds have proven quite easy to spot. Or perhaps I am getting sharper in my 'spotting skills'? Either way, when one is found and I see the joy in the face of the visiting birder, I can sense the awe and almost europhic relationship that exist between birders and this very special bird. The birds are never easy to approach very close on foot and seldom do one have a chance to use the car as a cover. This bird was pretty accommodating though and I managed a few shot...